Monday, May 19, 2008

Home

I've spent the past two weeks in Port Vila on the main island. Initially I was excited to come here. It was my chance to see other volunteers that I hadn't seen in a year, get clean and change clothes, and eat lots of food that is terrible for me. I stayed in a very nice resort for three days, with a jacquzzi, washer, and drier in each room. I also had a chance to go sailing on a small catermaran. After a few days of the good life though, I began to notice how tired I was becoming of city life. All I wanted was to leave and go back to my little village where I can live in peace and quiet. Unfortunately the airport lost my reservation for the day I was supposed to go back, and for the next few days all of the planes were booked full. Tomorrow I will finally be off though. I'm very excited to return to my bamboo house where I can fall asleep with the sound of the bush around me. I want to go back to hunting with my sling-shot with my dog by my side. I want to take in the rainforest while I cool off in a stream. I want to hop on my horse and take off to anywhere I please, and to do anything I want with out spending a dime. I want to climb a coconut tree and drink green coconuts as the sun goes down. I want to eat flying fox and tanna soup. I want to feel in my element. I want to go home. Go home to Tanna.

No comments: